May blasts opponent on Brexit as poll lead narrows

May said that while she was ready for negotiations set to start 11 days after the June 8 vote, the Labour leader would “find himself alone and naked in the negotiating chamber of the European Union”.

苏州美甲培训机构

Both politicians endured a bruising television grilling on Monday, with May coming under fire from audience members over cuts to public services, including police – an emotive issue following last week’s Manchester bombing.

MORE NEWS:

In a speech on Tuesday in Wolverhampton in central England, home to one of the Conservatives’ target seats, the prime minister sought to pivot the debate back to Brexit.

“I am prepared. I am ready to go. Jeremy Corbyn is not,” said May.

“Only one of us has the determination to deliver the will of the people and make Brexit happen. And only one of us has the plan to make Brexit a success.”

When May called the snap election in April, hoping for a stronger mandate for the EU talks, the Conservatives had a lead of more than 20 points over Labour. 

But this has fallen back in recent weeks since Labour presented its leftist agenda, and after a row over May’s plans for elderly social care that could see many people forced to pay more.

A new Survation poll for ITV television put Labour up three points in a week on 37 percent, while the Conservatives were unchanged on 43 percent. The smaller Liberal Democrats were on eight percent.

On Tuesday, May repeated her Brexit negotiating goals, including withdrawing Britain from Europe’s single market in order to control immigration from the continent, and ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.

And she confirmed once again she would rather walk away than accept a bad deal, saying Corbyn’s refusal to do so means “accepting any terms, however unreasonable”.

Critics have warned that leaving the EU without a new trade deal in place could cause significant harm to Britain’s economy – a position repeated by Labour after May’s speech.

“In this election, it is vital that the government is not given a blank cheque for a chaotic, extreme Brexit that would leave our economy… worse off,” lawmaker Chuka Umunna said.

WATCH: Brexit what does it mean?

0:00 Share

Melbourne 12-year-old remembered after death in Iraq

An Australian schoolgirl killed in a bomb blast in the Iraqi capital Baghdad is being remembered as a fun-loving girl and a passionate student.

苏州美甲培训机构

Twelve-year-old Zynab Al Harbiya, of Melbourne, died in the car-bombing of an ice-cream parlour that killed at least 14 people.

After a long day of Ramadan fasting, Zynab Al Harbiya asked her mother to take her to the ice-cream parlour.

It was, it turned out, the shop the self-proclaimed Islamic State would target with a car bomb, killing the 12-year-old girl from Melbourne’s suburban Thomastown and more than 20 others.

Zynab Al Harbiya had only been in Iraq for a few days with her parents and siblings, visiting her sick grandfather.

Her mother and uncles were wounded in the bombing.

Cousin Layla Al Saabary says the girl had expressed fears about going to the Iraqi capital before she left Australia and she had run after her to assure her.

“She was going to get ice cream after she broke her fast. (crying …) And I was running after her (back in Melbourne), and she was saying, ‘Layla, I’m scared. There might be bombs in Iraq.’ And I said, you know, ‘That’s okay, you’ll be fine.'” (crying …)

Layla Al Saabary says her cousin’s murder shows how acts of terrorism can take place anywhere in the world.

“It just shows that terrorism can target everyone and that everyone can be a victim of it, and I really hope that no-one ever, ever experiences something like this ever again.”

Zynab Al Harbiya was a student at Sirius College in the suburb of Broadmeadows.

The students there have held prayers, and the school has brought in counsellors for her classmates.

Principal Halid Serdar Takimoglu says it is a devastating time.

“All of us are deeply distressed that one of our smiling students has been taken from us in a cruel act of violence that is beyond understanding.”

IS has claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says it is a tragedy that shows IS has absolutely no respect for anything.

“This tragedy underscores the brutality of this terrorist organisation that shows no respect for religion, nationality, sovereignty, borders, no respect for humanity.”

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has expressed similar sentiments.

“The people who are doing this aren’t acting in the name of their faith. They’re just criminals motivated by murderous ideology, and I think every Australian feels so much for this little 12-year old girl from Melbourne’s northern suburbs.”

Zynab Al Harbiya was buried last night in the Iraqi holy city of Najaf.

 

 

 

ASIO head again denies refugee, terrorism link

The heads of Australia’s federal police and domestic spy agency have roundly rejected Pauline Hanson’s suggestion that Middle Eastern refugees are to blame for terrorism.

苏州美甲培训机构

They say there is no evidence to support the One Nation leader’s suggestion that refugees are more likely to be lured by groups like the self-proclaimed Islamic State.

Instead, they blame what they call a violent interpretation of Sunni Islam.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says she was “gobsmacked” when the head of ASIO told her there was no link between refugees and terrorism.

But ASIO chief Duncan Lewis has now reiterated his point, with support from Australian Federal Police commissioner Mark Colvin.

Mr Lewis has told the ABC there is a common thread but it is about religious ideology, not refugees.

“That is the issue that I’m trying to make very clear. In all of those cases, they were not terrorists because they were refugees. They were terrorists because of this warped, violent, extremist interpretation of Sunni Islam. It is Sunni Islamic extremism.”

ASIO says 11 of the 12 planned alleged terrorism attacks foiled in Australia since late 2014 were being planned by what he calls “radical Sunni Muslims.”

He says the other one was what he calls a “right-wing extremist” with no connection to Islam.

Mark Colvin, with the federal police, says he agrees with his ASIO counterpart.

“As I’ve already said, and as others have said as well, we are dealing with a radical interpretation of Sunni Islam. So that is our biggest priority, that is our biggest threat.”

And Commissioner Colvin says those caught planning such attacks are usually not new arrivals.

“The majority of persons of interests that come across my officers’ desks are first- and second-generation Australians. These are people who’ve been born, educated and raised in Australia.”

Former prime minister Tony Abbott and well-known columnist Andrew Bolt have joined Pauline Hanson in criticising the rejection of a link between refugees and terrorism.

They point out refugees or their children carried out several of the attacks in recent years.

But Labor leader Bill Shorten has defended Mr Lewis’s position.

“Duncan Lewis is a respected security expert. The point that he’s making (is) that, rather than focus on demonising refugees, instead, understand there are strands of radical and militant Islam causing the problem.”

The controversy comes as Labor mounts pressure on the Government to reconsider sending dozens of Coptic Christian asylum seekers back to Egypt.

The country has recently suffered a wave of terrorist attacks on Coptic Christians.

But a group of around 20 families are facing deportation from Australia after their asylum claims failed.

Labor and the Christian lobby are asking for a review, arguing the situation in Egypt has deteriorated since the claims were assessed.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says each case will be considered on its merits.

“That’s a matter for the Minister for Immigration to consider, whether there are any cases that require review. They are considered on a case-by-case basis, and I’m confident that the Minister for Immigration will make the right decisions.”

 

 

 

Newton-John’s cancer return ‘uncommon’

A cancer expert says it’s uncommon and “very unlucky” for breast cancer to return more than 20 years after an initial diagnosis, as is the case for Australian singer Olivia Newton-John.

苏州美甲培训机构

Professor Sanchia Aranda, president of the Union for International Cancer Control and CEO of Cancer Council Australia, says cancer cells are “pretty tricky things” and can lie dormant in the body for many years.

“It is unusual but not unheard of, so it can happen,” Prof Aranda said when asked about Newton-John’s diagnosis.

“It’s why chemotherapy is used after a person has an early breast cancer to try to mop up all of those cells but if we don’t get them all then they can be there and undergo change later on,” Prof Aranda said.

Newton-John had been battling back pain on her current US and Canadian concert tour.

The 68-year-old announced on her Facebook page on Tuesday the pain turned out to be breast cancer that has metastasised to the sacrum, a bone in her lower back, 25 years after her primary diagnosis of breast cancer.

“I decided on my direction of therapies after consultation with my doctors and natural therapists and the medical team at my Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre in Melbourne, Australia,” she said.

The entertainer first battled breast cancer 25 years ago and has since used her own experience to promote awareness about the disease.

While the risk of breast cancer returning diminishes over time it never completely goes away, Prof Aranda said.

“We know that the risk is highest within the first two years,” she said.

It is, however, very dependent on the individual, she noted.

Once the disease returns and has spread beyond the breast, five year survival drops from 95 per cent to around 25 per cent.

Being overweight, a lack of exercise and alcohol consumption all increase a woman’s chances of breast cancer returning.

Evidence shows that even one drink a day substantially increases the risk of the disease returning, cautioned Prof Aranda.

“We are often seen as promoting the negative messages but it really is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle always but particularly after a diagnosis of breast cancer,” she said.

Keeping your alcohol consumption very low, she says, will certainly help.

Australia ‘lagging behind’ as cyber threats outpace government security plans

On a day when the Turnbull government was criticised over the implementation of its cyber security strategy, the Prime Minister was sitting down for talks on the matter.

苏州美甲培训机构

He talked with representatives from the telecommunications and internet service provider industries and referred to cyberspace as “the new frontier of espionage, it is the new frontier of warfare”.

“It’s the new frontier of threats to Australian governments, to families and to businesses. It’s also a vector for the foreign states to interfere in democracies,” he said.

In April 2016, the Turnbull government unveiled a $230 million cyber security strategy with a 2020 target.

Experts say cyber threats outpacing security plans

0:00 Share

But a review by the Canberra-based Australian Strategic Policy Institute has found only a small fraction of the goals have been achieved so far.

Co-author of the institute’s report, Liam Neville, told SBS World News much more work needs to be done if the initiatives laid out are to be met.

“On a global scheme, it’s quite a good strategy, on principle, because it engages the whole country in a partnership to achieve cyber security,” Mr Neville said.

“It’s not just trying to secure the government, it’s trying to secure the whole country and, at the same time, it’s trying to grow our cyber security industry, which will be really critical in the future to our economic success.

“So, from that principle, it’s quite a well-developed strategy.

“Its implementation at the moment’s just lagging behind.”

Related reading

The Australian Strategic Policy Institute reports only four of the 83 initiatives set have been achieved – only 5 per cent.

It says another 20 are “on track” and 22 others need “greater attention” to meet the four-year time frame.

No work had begun on 14 other outcomes.

Mr Neville says the delays predominantly come down to last year’s election and caretaker period, as well as inefficient communication with the private sector.

“One of the big things that we spoke about with people when we were developing this is people don’t know what the timelines are,” he said.

“They don’t know when the work’s going to be finished, or, particularly for the private-sector partners who are helping, what they need to do and when by.

“So the government needs to talk more with people. They need to have clearer communication plans. They need to have clearer plans for implementation.”

Dan Tehan, the minister assisting Prime Minister Turnbull for cyber security – a position created as part of the strategy – rejected assertions the government was lagging behind.

“The government has made major steps in implementing it, put real funding, real resources, behind it,” Mr Tehan said.

“When it comes to the recommendations, well over half of the recommendations in the cyber security strategy, we’re implementing.

“On some, we’re ahead of target. On others, sure, we’ve got to make sure, over the next two to three years, we implement those.”

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said Labor was supportive in helping the government combat cyber crime.

“I think what we saw in recent weeks is criminals and people who would seek to do harm across the world have been hitting soft targets,” Mr Shorten said.

“I think there’s more that the government can do, and it should be a bipartisan, cooperative effort to help strengthen our hospitals, help strengthen our medium and small businesses.”

At the meeting with the online participants, Mr Turnbull flagged more talks to come.

“We need to be more cohesive, and what we’re looking for today is an open discussion as to how all of us – telcos, the big over-the-top providers, the big web-based platforms, Amazon, Facebook, infrastructure providers like NBN – can work together to ensure that we can better protect Australians, their businesses, their families … keep them safe online.”

Related reading